Since I'm still in the thick of studying for finals, it's sometimes even hard to find time to eat! This cupcake is the perfect solution: breakfast and dessert all in one. I just need a big cup of coffee and I'm set. Who needs healthy meals like lunch and dinner... right?
Don't worry, I'm actually eating real food too. I just wish I could eat one of these for every meal- they're that good. I brought a plate of these cupcakes over to a dancers potluck and they were a hit. I was sneaky and didn't tell anyone they are vegan, but no one even guessed!
Cinnamon Bun Cupcakes
makes 1 dozen
Cinnamon cupcakes (adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World):
1 cup almond milk (or any other kind of non-dairy milk)
1 tsp vinegar
1 1/4 cups flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350º and line a cupcake pan.
2. Combine the almond milk and vinegar in a large bowl and set aside to curdle for at least 5 minutes.
3. Sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.
4. Add the oil, sugar and vanilla to the almond milk mixture and stir well.
5. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until just combined. Then fill up the cupcake tins about 2/3 of the way full.
6. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Make the frosting while they bake. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
1/4 cup earth balance
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1. Cream together the cream cheese and earth balance in a medium bowl. Stir in the vanilla.
2. Slowly add in the powdered sugar, whisking as you go until it is smooth and fluffy. You could either use an electric mixer or good old-fashioned elbow grease, like my friend and I did!
Mmm just look at that melt-in-your-mouth frosting.
These were definitely worth the extra-long study break!
If you're in the midst of finals like I am, here are a couple of my favorite relaxing study songs:
Does anyone else have good suggestions for study music?