26.4.12

Twenty.


Hey guys.

Hey guys.
Guess what. 

It's my birthday. 

That's right, I have finally said good riddance to those teenage years and jumped into my twenties!

I try not to hype my own birthdays up too much in general, because, well, nothing can ever beat my pirate birthday party when I was 5, so might as well not raise the expectations. My friends and I will celebrate tonight, but for now I'll take this birthday morning to reflect.


I won't pretend to be a life expert. Twenty years is nothing in the grand scheme of things. But you can learn a lot in twenty years, so I thought I would share these little gems of wisdom and advice with you. You can take it or leave it :)




Twenty Things for Twenty Years



1. You can try to ignore it, but no matter what, family will always be the most important influence in your life.
2. Friendships, like any relationships, take a lot of work. If you’re not willing to work for it, it’s probably not worth having.

3. Never underestimate the power of heels and a little lipstick.

4. Boys are not as complicated as girls make them.

5. Not sleeping enough = getting sick. It may be un-cool to actually sleep in college, but sleep is good. Get some.

6. You should never feel like you to have to be anyone other than yourself around your best friends.

7. Things are only awkward if you make them awkward. Usually a smile solves it.

8. If you want something from someone, ask for it. No one can read minds. Except Voldemort.
9. You never know what will happen if you put yourself out there, but it’s worth the risk. Starting this blog was definitely putting myself out there and it has paid off so far!
10. If you have a really great idea, don’t just keep it in your head. Tell someone or write it down somewhere- then at least it’s out there, waiting to become something real.
11. Never shop for anything on an empty stomach.
12. If you have a stressful day ahead of you, wear a cute outfit. It helps, I promise.
13. It’s nice to have friends outside of your age range. Younger people bring you optimism and older people bring you wisdom.
14. No one can make the big decisions for you. In the end babe, it all comes down to your gut feeling.
15. Most people like meeting new people. So go ahead and chat up that guy that serves you coffee every day, you might make a friend.
16. If you’re not happy, change something. No exceptions or excuses.
17. Never be embarrassed about the music you listen to. Why yes, I do listen to the Lord of the Rings soundtrack while I do my homework sometimes.
18. Always always always make lists.
19. People will always question why you want to be an artist. As long as you  know the answer, nothing else matters.
20. You should never feel guilty about indulging yourself once in a while. So go make these cupcakes- now.



Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting (adapted from Recipe Girl)

makes 1 dozen cupcakes


Cookie Dough:


3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegan margarine, softened
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp soy milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Cupcakes:


1 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 tsp egg replacer mixed with 2 tbsp water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Cookie Dough Frosting:


1/3 cup margarine

1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour 
1 tbsp soy milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

extra chocolate chips to decorate


1. Prepare the Cookie Dough Filling: Cream together the margarine and sugar. Whisk in the soy milk and vanilla, then mix in the dry ingredients until smooth and creamy. Fold in the chocolate chips. Scoop rounded tablespoons of cookie dough onto a cookie sheet and stick in the freezer for about 30 minutes, or until completely hardened.

2. While the dough freezes, prepare the cupcakes. Preheat your oven to 375º and line a cupcake tin. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add in the wet and stir until combined. Pour the batter evenly between 12 cupcake cups. Take out the frozen cookie dough and press a ball of dough into each cupcake.
3. Bake the cupcakes for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (from the cupcake part, not the cookie dough).
4. Prepare the frosting: In a medium bowl, cream together the sugars and margarine. Add in the soy milk, vanilla and flour and stir until smooth and fluffy.
5. Let the cupcakes cool for at least 30 minutes, then frost them generously. Decorate with chocolate chips.


Oh my.

Okay I'll admit, these cupcakes weren't actually made for my birthday. I baked them last weekend for my friend's 21st and I think they might be the best cupcakes I have ever made. Three people asked me to marry them after taking a bite. These are sinfully delicious.




Time to go celebrate my day!

65 comments:

  1. HAPPY 20TH BIRTHDAY!!!! You have a lot of wisdom in that list of 20- I am going to copy them out and hang them on my studio wall! And those cupcakes look delicious!
    Happy celebrating today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 20th birthday, Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Hope you have a lovely day and enjoy being out of the teens! I just had my 22nd and am feeling very old so 20 is a good place to be :D
    Your list is great, I completely agree with every little piece of wisdom, and I'm definitely going to make those cupcakes for the next special occasion worthy of such a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Emma! I'm excited about being 20 :)

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday! I love cookie dough cupcakes. They are one of my go-to recipes for friend's parties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are just so delicious.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday! I hope your day is as lovely as your cupcakes. I'm turning twenty this summer and hope to bake lots of lovely things for myself when the day comes. Your cupcakes will definitely be on the "to try" list.

    And YES, lists are such a good idea. Lists and dark chocolate are instrumental in keeping my sanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Agreed. I should have squeezed in mandatory dark chocolate every day on my list.

      Delete
  6. You had me at cookie dough frosting :)

    Happy birthday! I hope you have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh I could eat that stuff by the bucketful. Thanks, Jes!

      Delete
  7. HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your wisdom floors me! I'm copying it out, (I just made my own list yesterday, and it pales in comparison). And the cupcakes look beautiful and delicious! Oh, did I mention: HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Ruby! The ocean is waving to you today, the mama seals and baby seals are barking, and the trees are dancing and swaying. California sends love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne! Sending my love right back to California. I miss it!

      Delete
  9. Happy birthday, girl! Hope you celebrate it well. Those cupcakes do look fantastic! Who doesn't love cookie dough? I need to remember 9, 10 and 16 more often. Also, you are so right about 12! Bad things happen when I shop on an empty stomach...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia! Me too, many impulse buys have happened just because my tummy was rumbling...

      Delete
  10. Anonymous26.4.12

    I would like to say happy birthday!
    These cupcakes look delicious! I was wondering, since I'm not vegan, will this recipe work out with dairy products and eggs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yep, the recipe that I loosely adapted my version off of included dairy and eggs, so if you click the link to "Recipe Girl" next to my version you could try out that one! Let me assure you, though, no eggs or dairy are needed- none of my friends could even tell that they were vegan :)

      Delete
  11. WOO. Happy birthday, Lady! I hope you had a good'un!

    Loved your list - and MAN. I've never even seen cookie dough cupcakes before. Nor heard of their existence until now. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Girl! You're so sweet! I just recently discovered the idea and decided it was the best one ever.

      Delete
  12. Happy birthday!! This list is fabulous. I'm 34 and I think I should print it out and keep it as a reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, WordyDoodles! I'm definitely keeping it on my wall, just in case I forget a few from time to time :)

      Delete
  13. Ruby - Happy 20th B-day! These cupcakes look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday! Your cupcakes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous28.4.12

    Happy birthday!!!! And I am SO making these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Let me know how you like them :)

      Delete
  16. Ahh, one thing that I really love about this cupcake is the chocolate .. Happy Birthday Ruby :) I hope you have a great day,and yes I will be making this cupcakes tomorrow for the whole gang is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope the gang enjoys them as much as mine did!

      Delete
  17. Happy birthday!!! I turned 20 too not so long ago. I wish would have celebrated with some cookie dough cupcakes yumm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana! They are a perfect way to celebrate

      Delete
  18. Anonymous28.4.12

    Ruby Smith, I love you! You are such an amazing person and friend and artist and baker and I could go on but I'm not going to.

    Love,
    Julie

    p.s. I'm posting this on my tumblr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you, love! You're the best.

      Delete
  19. Happy Birthday!

    I love everything on your list- are you sure you are only 20?

    And these cupcakes, oh these cupcakes - so freakin' amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you are too kind! *blush*

      Delete
  20. Ruby! These look to-die-for! What a perfect birthday gift to yourself (Happy belated birthday, by the way)! I totally agree with #12- a cute outfit makes challenging days SO MUCH easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristy! It's true- I always wear a cute dress when I have an exam that day.

      Delete
  21. Happy birthday! I have a serious thing for cookie dough anything. Will be making this for sure.

    Love your list too. It's good to feel that you can be yourself around your friends. It's even better though when you can be yourself around everybody :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristen! And you are totally right- you should always be yourself!

      Delete
  22. super cute and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are so cute! I might just make them for my roommate's (who loves chocolate chip cookies) birthday in a couple of days. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nada! They are definitely perfect for a chocolate chip cookie dough-lover, like myself :)

      Delete
  24. happy belated ruby! here's to a wonderful, inspiring year ahead for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous2.5.12

    Happy Birthday! These are gorgeous cupcakes and I loved your list :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loved this post...and happy birthday! Can I ask for any ideas to put in my 2nd year old son birthday party that will be filled with omnis, except him and I? I have the sweet dept covered, but have no clue what to put for salty ones...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sil! I would love to be able to help! Do you mean you are looking for snack foods or something to be a meal?

      Delete
  27. Loved this post. A birthday is a great opportunity for reflection and you did it in style! It's my birthday in a weeks time- the final year of my 20's is coming up, so I feel it may be a time to reflect for me too. P.s gorgeous cakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo! The end of a decade always feels so huge... definitely a good time to do some reflecting :)

      Delete
  28. Happy birthday lady! It's my first time popping by here, but as someone who has not only the LOTR CDs but the sheet music as well, and is a May baby too.... I hope you had a wonderful day! Clearly, you've already got the delicious part of birthdays sorted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! I'm so glad you stopped by! Haha, I'm actually an April baby... but Spring babies are the best. And I'm so happy someone else can geek out to the Lord of the Kings music with me :)

      Delete
  29. Oh my , it's like I wanted to make a boogie birthday song for you, will you ever share with me one of your mouth watering cupcakes? LOL.. but this I gotta say ; Happy Birthday!! I am one of your followers in PINTEREST just so you'll know.. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much! And thanks for the Pintrest follow!

      Delete
  30. Sanna1.6.12

    Hey, sounds good, I think I'm going to bake those cupcakes this weekend, but I unfortunately don't have a freezer, do you think it's possible just to put the dough in the cold fridge a little longer?
    I really like your recipes, thank you for the good ideas!

    Greetings from Germany, Sanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sanna! I think that should work just fine, although the cookie dough may just bake a little bit more than it does when it is completely frozen. The important thing is for the dough to firm up enough to stay in a ball once you stuff it into the cake batter. I hope they turn out! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  31. I made these today for my office picnic and they were gone in seconds! Thanks for the awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Katrina! So glad to hear it :)

      Delete
  32. Anonymous7.8.12

    Happy Belated Birthday :) I made these ages ago and they were delicious! I decided I wanted to do your '20 things' idea for my birthday as well, so here it is :)
    http://fatt0p0tamus.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/32-things-for-32-years.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you! It's fun to write, isn't it? :)

      Delete
  33. Can you use vegetable Oil instead of vegan margarine or olive oil? Thanks trying to make non-egg and dairy free cookie dough for my very close friend who cant have dairy.

    Thank you
    Greg Oxley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Greg! You can absolutely use vegetable oil- in fact I would recommend that over olive oil, since vegetable oil has a much more neutral flavor for baked goods. Because oil is more liquid than margarine, use one or two tablespoons less of it than the recipe calls for. I hope the cookie dough works out for you and your friend!
      Happy baking!

      Delete
  34. I just made these cupcakes! They're by far the bet vegan cupcakes I've ever made! Thanks so much! <3!

    ReplyDelete