11.8.12

Chocolate Lovers Brownie Cookies


I have a little bit of advice for you: the best way to repay someone for letting you crash at their place (besides chipping in for groceries-that's a nice thing to do) is to bake them cookies. As I have preached before, nothing says thank you, you're the best better than chocolate.

I crashed at my friend Mel's family's house this past weekend for Lollapalooza, a huge 3-day music festival in Chicago. The trip was definitely an experience, complete with it's ups and downs.


The downs included:

-being evacuated from Grant Park for three hours along with 70,000 other people because of severe thunderstorms
-the mud after the thunderstorms
-having mud balls thrown into the crowd during Calvin Harris
-almost passing out because of heat exhaustion during J. Cole. Don't worry, I chugged some water, ate a granola bar and I was fine.

The highlights, however, were:

-watching the amazing way that Florence and the Machine practically hypnotized a whole crowd with Florence Welch's incredible voice
-finding possibly the only vegan food at the whole festival (tasty veggie-stuffed dumplings)
-raging with Mel
-despite being so sweaty that I looked like I had taken a shower, getting a guy to dance with me at Kaskade
-getting a pedicure after the hell my feet had been through. It was only slightly embarrassing how horrified the woman looked when I put my feet up for her to see...



To repay Mel and her parents for providing me with a place to sleep and lots of granola bars, I made them a big batch of these. 


These cookies should come with a warning: you have to really love chocolate. They are dark, fudge-y, and as rich as the 1%. There is some seriously sinful chocolate flavor going on here.




Chocolate Lovers Brownie Cookies (loosely adapted from Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar)


makes 2 dozen cookies


1/3 cup non-dairy milk

2 tbsp ground flax seeds
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sucant
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla 
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat your oven to 350ยบ and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the milk, flax seeds, canola oil, sugars and vanilla until smooth. Sift in the remaining ingredients (not including chocolate chips) and stir until a dough forms. Fold in the chips.
3. Roll the dough into about 1 1/2" balls and place them on the cookies sheets, at least 2" apart in case of spreading. Bake for about 10 minutes- they will still feel soft and gooey to touch, but trust me, they firm up as they cool. 




I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend! If you're not, make a batch of these and it will instantly get better. These cookies are a dream come true. Is that over the top? Well excuse me, I'm still in a chocolate coma :)



20 comments:

  1. I want to make these! But I'm afraid that I would eat them all at once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why they are great to share! You can also freeze the dough and bake small batches at a time :)

      Delete
  2. Good lord, these look good! I just made a cheesecake and now I'm trying to keep myself from going back into the kitchen and whipping up a batch of these...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm now you have me thinking about cheesecake... trade?

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11.8.12

    Another great recipe! I used all granulated sugar instead of 1/2 sucanat and they're still super good. Can I link to this recipe on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes absolutely! Thank you for asking!

      Delete
  4. perfect cookies! I can only imagine what your feet looked like after a weekend of muddy raging...I know what my feet look like after a few days of backwoods camping and it isn't pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I know. I never get pedicures, so this was a nice treat. And thank you!

      Delete
  5. Love Florence - saw those guys in London, and they were suberb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? I was blown away.

      Delete
  6. Was bummed I couldn't make it to Lollapalooza this year--must have been interesting with the storms! The cookies look rad; definitely a good thank you gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very interesting- crazy to see the streets of Chicago filled with the thousands of people being evacuated! And thanks!

      Delete
  7. I can kill somebody for one of this marvellous cookies (or brownie)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't know how good these cookies are, I might say killing is a little harsh... however... :)

      Delete
  8. Oh my god.. Drooling here... Bookmarking these

    Sowmya
    http://nivedhanams.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy crap. I'll take a dozen of these, please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous25.10.12

    I made these tonight and they are delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look really good, is there anything I can substitute for the flax seed? Like Ener-G Egg replacer perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes absolutely! Just use the amount equal to one egg. Happy baking!

      Delete
  12. Anonymous29.7.14

    These are ab-so-lute-ly heavenly!! Thanks so much for such a yummy, vegan chocolate chip brownie cookie recipe!! Can't wait to make these again and I love your idea about making them for someone who's been a blessing to you! Looks like I'll be baking these again this weekend! Thanks for sharing! ;-)

    ReplyDelete