28.12.11

Monkey Bread

Okay I'll admit, I still get ridiculously excited on Christmas morning and tend to wake up at 6:30 or 7am to go open my stocking with my brother. Maybe slightly embarrassing, but hey, I'm not sure if the Christmas morning magic ever fades. My dad lights a fire in the fireplace, we turn the tree lights on, and take our sweet time enjoying each and every present we unwrap. 
Our beautiful Christmas tree!


Christmas loot


Continuing with the theme of tradition in the last post, our holiday breakfast tradition is to make monkey bread- a delicious twist on traditional cinnamon rolls. Of course we're all in a sugar coma by lunch time, but it's totally worth it. Again, we had never tried making this vegan before, but my mom and I made a few adjustments and everyone agreed it was actually the best we had ever made!

Monkey Bread with Caramel Glaze (adapted from the Martha Stewart Holiday Magazine 2002)

Bread:
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus a pinch for the yeast
1 package yeast
2 tbsp earth balance
3/4 cup soy milk, warmed
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup applesauce or 1 egg replacer
3 1/4 cups flour

Coating:
1/2 cup earth balance, melted
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Caramel Glaze
1/2 cup brown sugar
5 tbsp earth balance
6 tbsp soy milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar

1. Put the warm water and a pinch of sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle the yeast over the top. Stir and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
2. Place the earth balance, warmed soy milk, salt and applesauce in a large bowl. Grease a medium bowl.
3. Once the yeast is foamy, add it to the bowl and mix well. Slowly add the flour and knead for 5 minutes. Put the dough in the greased bowl, cover with plastic and let it rise for 20 minutes.
4. To make the coating, pour the melted butter in a bowl and combine the cinnamon and sugar in another. Grease a bundt pan.

5. Divide the dough into 4 sections and roll each section into a long rope, about 1/2" thick or less. Cut the ropes into tiny pieces and roll them into balls. Dip each piece first in the butter, then coat it in cinnamon sugar and place in the bundt pan. Repeat until all the dough is used up.


6. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for about an hour. 
7. Preheat the oven to 350ยบ and bake bread for 30 to 35 minutes. Let it cool for 15 minutes in the pan before turning it onto a plate.
8. Make the caramel glaze by combining the brown sugar, 2 tbsp of earth balance and 2 tbsp of soy milk in a sauce pan. Cook over low heat until dissolved, then cover and cook for 3 more minutes. Take the cover off and let it simmer without stirring. 
9. Turn of the heat then stir in the remaining ingredients. Drizzle it over the monkey bread right before serving. 



It's a little labor intensive, but can be really fun if you get family and friends involved in rolling up the dough balls. I guarantee this bread will give you a great reason to wake up in the morning, even if it's not Christmas!


This post was featured on Sweets for a Saturday!


16 comments:

  1. That looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to inform my mother next year that I don't want any big presents, just a stocking. And monkey bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, beautiful photos of beautiful food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! Can't wait until next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! And Joanne, that is definitely the way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big fan of monkey bread too. Love all your Christmasy photos. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your monkey bread up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/12/sweets-for-saturday-50.html. It'll be open till Monday night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2.1.12

    Great pictures! That monkey bread looks mouthwatering and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! It did not stick around the house for long...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2.1.12

    Yum. I've never attempted making monkey bread before. Can it be assembled the night before and baked in the morning?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely! Just wrap the dough in plastic wrap and stick in in the fridge overnight. What we usually do is bake it the night before and then frost it in the morning which works well too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2.1.12

    Thanks! Baking it ahead and frosting it before eating sounds like a perfect option. I haven't had monkey bread in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're welcome! Let me know how it turns out if you give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks yummy. Where does the 1/4 C granulated sugar get used in the bread recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I can't believe you are the first one to notice that! It gets added in with all of the other ingredients in step two.
      Happy holidays!

      Delete
  14. I just made this today for my little girls since it was a snow day. They loved it and my husband ate almost half by himself. Thanks so much for the recipe. Delish!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heather29.1.14

    I made this with my little girls since it was a school snow day. They loved it and my husband ate almost half by himself. Absolutely delicious!!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete