4.7.12

Red, White & Blueberries


The greatest thing about living in the same house for your whole life is the consistency and comfort of neighborhood traditions. Ever since I can remember, my community gets together every 4th of July for a parade around the block complete with instruments, goofy hats, flags and kids on decorated bicycles. I've grown up with this parade...


from being wheeled around in a star-spangled wagon,


 to having lemonade with friends,


trying to rollerskate and getting mad when I fall too many times


and eating ice cream with my old baby-sitter who will always be Peter Pan in my mind.


Now it feels so bizarre to be practically one of the adults in the parade. The past three years I'v walked around with the newest generation of Bryn Mawr kids, helping them with their rollerskates and bikes. 

I'm starting to feel old.

But you are never too old for fireworks.


Or holiday-themed popsicles. Obviously.


Red, White & Blueberry Lemon Coconut Pops

makes 4-5 popsicles

1 can light coconut milk
1/4 cup maple syrup or agave
zest of 1 lemon
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup diced strawberries
1/2 cup fresh blueberries

Whisk together all of the ingredients in a medium bowl, pour into popsicle molds and chill for at least 6 hours or overnight.

Simple, lovely and delicious.



Happy 4th of July!

5 comments:

  1. wonderful photos....nice looking popsicles....could use one right now in the 95 degree heat!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 4th! Beautiful photos and memories, I too grew up in the same house - actaully the same house my Dad grew up in and still lives in! I love have the familiar feelings of childhood to this day :)

    The pops look so yummy - the coconut made them even more appealing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! It's so nice having the same place to call home to return to every once in a while.

      Delete
  3. Yummm this look amazing! I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete