12.4.12

The Best Vegan Fudge Brownies


Just keep dancing, just keep dancing...

It's all I can do to stay sane. Homework? Psh. Social life? Yeah right. Just keep dancing...

That, my friends, is my week.

In the meantime, I've been meaning to do a link love post for a while and what could go better with the best vegan brownies except the best links I've found recently? So here are some things that I have been loving lately:

-This is one of the most unique TED talks I have ever seen, and hey! It's dance-related :)
-Jen Altman's food photography- love the vibrant colors and how she encorporates people.
-I have a pair of these and I get so many complements. They are addicting- I want more!
-Whenever spring and summer start to creep around the corner I start to crave one of my favorite classic desserts: strawberry shortcake. This slight twist on the traditional version looks divine. Time to put my veganizing powers to good use.
-I can't wait for this duo album to be released.

And now, onto the brownies...



The Best Vegan Fudge Brownies (adapted from 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes by Kris Holechek)

makes about 9 brownies

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp earth balance
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup good quality cocoa powder
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
1/3 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips to add in

1. Preheat your oven to 350ยบ and lightly oil a an 8x8 baking pan.
2. In a measuring cup, combine the flaxseed and water. Whisk for a minute ad set aside. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Combine the earth balance chocolate chips and cocoa powder in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until melted together and smooth.
4. In a large bowl, beat together the "flax egg" and chocolate mixture. Mix in the sugar and vanilla, then add the dry ingredients. Fold in the remaining chocolate chips.
5. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for about 35-40 minutes. They will still be slightly gooey, but they solidify as they cool.


I think these are the best because I am a huge fan of melt-in-your mouth fudge-y brownies. These have that perfect texture along with a really deep, dark, chocolate flavor. It's impossible to just eat one!

12 comments:

  1. I had to do a brownie taste testing last week and it was nerve wracking. Half of the people were set on the cakey brownie and half on the fudgy brownie. So I decided to sell both and market one as an espresso brownie and add a drizzle to the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good compromise! Mm espresso brownies... that's something I'll have to make soon.

      Delete
  2. As usual, delicious looking photos of your brownies. I can taste them just by looking at them! And looking at your "love" list-- those food photos by Jen Altman are stunning! And thank you for all the links-- excellent links!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous13.4.12

    I love your love list, Ruby, and the look of your brownies, but there are no links for me. Just descriptions. Am I missing something? I´d like to check them out.
    Annie from Norway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie! You should be able to click on the links through some of the words in my descriptions- they are a lighter grey or green color. Does that work?

      Delete
  4. I am a somewhat new vegan, these brownies and your chocolate sauce recipe (with the thank you cake) have convinced me that I can stay vegan forever. I thought the thing that I would miss most would be chocolate, but your recipes have really shown me that being vegan does not mean having sad desserts. In fact, I think these desserts are often better than non-vegan ones! I always look forward to your new blog posts for great ideas and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so happy and honored that my blog has made an impact on you, and I agree, vegan desserts are almost even better than non-vegan! Plus they tend to make you feel healthier :)
      Happy baking!

      Delete
  5. Hey there!

    I just made these brownies, but I made them gluten free. I loved them, and I haven't been eating brownies or any such thing for a long time until recently. I prefer the fudgy kind like you do. Over half the people I shared them with are non-gluten free _and_ non-vegan, and they all liked them so much, to the point that I promised my husband I'd make him a gluten version so that I could have a couple of these ones for later!

    Since I like them so much, I'm thinking of all kinds of variations on them. Would you be ok with it if I made variations and shared them on my blog, referencing you and this post each time of course?
    cheers,
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes absolutely! I'm so glad you enjoyed them so much :)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous13.2.13

    This recipe is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing! We made these the other night... and we will be making them again and again! : )

    http://thebearandtheblackberry.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/the-most-ridiculously-delicious-fudge-brownies/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete