30.1.12

Goodbye Butterflies



Saturday was the last day of my internship at the Pacific Grove Natural History Museum. While some of the projects they had me doing were slightly random, overall it ended up being a great experience. In the last couple weeks, they began to give me more substantial assignments when they saw what I could do with photoshop and design. The director of the museum had me create posters for their upcoming exhibits, brochures for a big fundraising event, and a sign to honor all of the museum donors. She referred to me as the official "graphic design intern," which is pretty cool :)

I wish I could be here to see the monarch exhibit opening in March. I think it's going to be a really fun, interactive, multimedia display. It's amazing to see the amount of work and attention to detail that goes into this kind of production. The exhibition curator and I spent a long time just picking out a font from 3 very similar choices to go on the inside of the advertising flyers!

The box of over 200 folded origami butterflies...
all done by yours truly. 

Monarch caterpillar sleeping bags for kids to crawl around in-
aren't they adorable? They were really fun to paint, too.

I will miss working in Pacific Grove, with all of it's great people and small-town charm. However, I also can't wait to get back to school- did I really just say that? 
Yes I did. I'm a nerd. I love school.

You know what I also love? 


Nutella. 

My friends I'm staying with have a whole jar in their cupboard that looks so yummy, but unfortunately, this delicious chocolatey spread is definitely not vegan. Thanks to Chocolate-Covered Katie, however, now I can make my own! I cut her recipe in half and added a splash of extra soy milk because it was a little thick, but result was amazing. There is so much you can do with it! Spread it on bread, graham crackers, bananas, swirl it in oatmeal, bake with it... the possibilities are endless. Next time I will make a full batch- I could eat this stuff by the spoonful. 



I have an incredibly early flight tomorrow (leaving at 4am... gah), so I think a quick breakfast of toast and vegan nutella is in my future. Now that is something to wake up for.

Also, side note, That's So Vegan just joined Twitter! Follow me for updates on my vegan baking, cooking and life adventures.

4 comments:

  1. Just a J-term internship? Maybe you can go back for a full summer or semester one in the future! I really wish I'd done more with internships while I had the chance (co-ops are another great program). Vegan nutella is the bomb--enjoy it on your super early flight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jes! I definitely want to look into more internships for the summer. Possibly abroad... that's my goal anyway! They can be such great opportunities and experience. What kind of co-ops do you mean?

      Delete
  2. Awwww! Your lovely photo caught my eye on foodgawker, so of course I clicked over... and was so surprised to see my name.
    You made the nutella look gorgeous!!

    I love the butterflies as well. I've never seen origami butterflies before. Cranes, yes. But not butterflies :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butterflies are fun and really easy to make! In my next post I can add the link to the video tutorial I used.

      And thank you! Your nutella is gorgeous as well- thanks so much for providing the recipe! I think it's going to become a staple for me whenever I can get my hands on some hazelnuts :)

      Delete