12.9.11

Warm Tomato and Peach Salad



One pattern you might notice on this blog is that I use a lot of the same ingredients, but do different things with them. Yes, I'm cheap. I make ingredients last as long as they possibly can, so I apologize for the repetition but also I think it's good to find new ways of mixing together similar foods! Like having tomatoes in 3 different posts so far...

This past weekend I went to the Oberlin Farmer's Market and got some yummy fresh veggies. Here's what I bought:



Now to be honest, I don't really know what to do with an eggplant- I've never cooked with one before, but I thought I might as well try! Any suggestions?

I did, however, know what to do with tomato and basil. My favorite food, before I went vegan was a Caprese salad: tomato, basil and mozzarella. Now that I'm vegan I decided to put a new spin on this basic idea. Remember that fresh peach I had a picture of a little while ago? Yep, that's what I added. You may be thinking, "tomatoes and peaches? what kind of a combination is that?" Well, let me tell you, it was amazing. This salad is so easy to put together and could be served as a side dish or a light lunch (or lunch and dinner, like I did).

Warm Tomato and Peach Salad 

serves 2

2 large tomatoes, sliced

2 large peaches, peeled and sliced

1 tbsp olive oil, plus a little extra

1/3 cup packed, chopped fresh basil

salt and pepper to taste

1. Place the peach and tomato slices on a tray and drizzle with the extra olive oil. Broil them in a toaster oven (or real oven) for about 20 minutes.

2. Take them out of the oven, and then mix them in a medium bowl with the 1 tbsp of olive oil and basil. Season it to taste and eat!

Super easy, super delicious.

Check out my super awesome wolf-eye knife.


I suppose you could make this salad cold too, but it was really good warm. Especially on rainy cold days.


Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Peaches and tomatoes are two flavors I have never thought of together, but I am going to try this while the last of peach and tomato season is here! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. matthew smith13.9.11

    I couldn't eat tomatoes for the longest time because of stomach problems with the tomato's acid content. BUT I CAN NOW. Just in time for this oddball combo of two fruits that I would NEVER have thought of putting together, (and I put some pretty weird stuff together, like a blueberry muffin in my fruit smoothie). I'm going to try it. The photos are beautiful---plus cool wolf knife!

    ReplyDelete
  3. evelyn reilly14.9.11

    Here's my favorite thing to do with eggplant: drizzle liberally with olive oil and, if you like, balsamic vinegar. sprinkle with salt and lots of fresh crushed garlic. then bake or grill until very soft. you can do the same thing with peppers, zucchini, and portabella mushrooms, then throw it all on some good toasted french bread with sauteed onions. for non-vegans, goat cheese is great on it, but i think some veganaise or some other type of creamy, slightly tangy ingredient would be excellent! grilled vegetable sandwiches YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! I think that will probably be my dinner tomorrow night...

    ReplyDelete