8.9.11

Escaping Cafeteria Food

It's not that bad, really. Sometimes you walk out with a plate of great food- an awesome salad from the salad bar, a yummy vegetable soup- but honestly, most of the time being vegan, what I get in the Stevenson dining hall is mush. Mush that gives me a stomach ache. So after less than a week of eating there already, my friend and I decided it was time to take action and make our own dinner with fresh ingredients.

We basically mixed together we had on hand and maybe what we came up with also looked a little mushy... but I promise you, it was delicious and super easy.



Chickpea, Zucchini and Cherry Tomato Sauté

1 cup cooked grain of your choice (we used Trader Joe's Three Grains Blend)

1 can chickpeas, drained

1/2 large zucchini, sliced and cut into half-slivers

1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved

2 cloves garlic

2 tbsp olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat up the olive oil in a large pan, then add chickpeas and tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes start to shrivel and the chickpeas start to brown a little.

2. Add the zucchini and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Then add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Serve over grains and add salt and pepper to taste.



This dish is so simple for any college student to whip up, and it's so much better than what you get in dining halls. Sorry for the not-so-great lighting in these... unfortunately our kitchen is plagued with florescent lights only. College life.



Cooking buddies are the best. We actually made a little something for dessert too... but that recipe will come later. Time for me to rush off to class!

7 comments:

  1. This looks simple and delicious! Think I will try it at home~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mush at the cafeteria sounds not good. I am glad you found a way to escape:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. matthew smith8.9.11

    Sorry the college food is so blah. This recipe sounds like even I, reluctant cook, could convince myself to make it. Bummer though---I'd have to leave out the garlic. Too hard on my uber-sensitive stomach....

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the future I'll try to post some dinners that are compatible with sensitive stomachs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darby Auerbach-Morris25.9.11

    Yummmm to the dessert recipes! I will try them, one by one. But first, the chickpea recipe, as I have the items on my pantry shelf now. Thank you! Keep the recipes coming!

    Darby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy!

    I used this for Taste and Create this month, success!

    Now it's my turn to write it up...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yay! I can't wait to see. I will be making one of your recipes very soon... looking forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete