16.9.11

Toasted Veggie Sandwich and Disaster

Disaster has struck my dorm. Our oven and stove are broken. Now instead of baking lovely treats for everyone, I'm going to actually have to do my homework this weekend. Maybe it's a sign that I need to adjust my priorities. Hopefully it will be fixed soon though, because I have a long "to-bake" list for you guys. Meanwhile....

I discovered the fact that the stove was broken midway through preparing to make a grilled veggie sandwich. I was about to completely give up after waiting 10 minutes for the pan to heat up and just go with boring old peanut butter and jelly, but then I had an idea. I could toast/roast the veggies instead. The result was still delicious.



Basically I drizzled sliced eggplant and tomato with olive oil and sprinkled them with oregano and rosemary and baked them at 400° in the toaster oven for about 15 minutes (until the eggplant was soft). I toasted two slices of bread (I used plain old wheat, but I wish I had some better bread like ciabatta so it didn't get so soggy) and then spread a layer of spinach and artichoke hummus, topped it with fresh basil and finally added the veggies. Perfect for a quick and healthy dinner before I ran off to serve pizza for 5 hours!



Haven't you ever noticed that the best sandwiches are always the messiest to eat? It's a fact.

6 comments:

  1. This toasted veggie sandwich is going to be my lunch today-- despite the near-frost temperatures the past two nights in Minneapolis, I have harvested both eggplants and tomatoes from my garden. Can't wait to try it! Sorry to hear about the stove~ hope they fix it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. matthew smith17.9.11

    Sounds delicious. Yes, I have noticed that the messiest sandwiches taste the best. They are the only kind I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got back from the farmer's market with some great veggies- going to make this sandwich for dinner tonight! keep it up with all of these fantastic recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I hope you enjoy the sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm... I hope those got repaired... I would cry when my oven break down.. then rejoice for the excuse to get a new bigger one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh if only I could talk the residential education staff here into that one... but for now the work order has been put in and a mechanic should be coming soon!

    ReplyDelete