7.2.13

Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Stew



Here is what I believe: if you want to be truly inspired, you have to change something. Change your location. Change your mindset. Change who you talk to, how you see things, and what you do in your every day life. Or, like me, change all of these things in one big terrifying leap.

Morocco is possibly the most inspiring place I have ever been in my life. Not only have I been inspired to start up this blog again, but I have been inspired to write, photograph, and dance as much as possible. At my internship here at Cinematheque de Tanger, I am starting the most exciting project. I proposed to do a series of intensive workshops accumulating into a final performance that combines contemporary dance and cinema projections. The directors went for it (!!!) and now I am beginning the scary and amazing process of creating a community dance course/performance from scratch. It is a lot of work, but it’s the kind of work I love to do.

By the end of each day, I tend to be so worn out that all I want to do is make something easy and comforting for dinner with simple ingredients that I buy from the local markets. The solution? A steaming pot of soup infused with Moroccan-inspired spices. Yum.



Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Stew

makes about 3-4 servings

2 cups red lentils
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small cubes
4 cups water
1 vegetable boullion cube (alternately, you can use 4 cups of vegetable broth and forget the boullion cube)
½ onion, chopped
2 minced cloves of garlic
1 tomato, diced
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp tumeric
½ tsp paprika
salt to taste

Rinse your lentils and dump them into a large pot along with the water, sweet potatoes, onion, garlic and boullion cube. Turn the heat on medium low and bring to a boil for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and sweet poatatoes are soft and the water is absorbed.

Add the spices, adjusting to your taste and served topped with whatever you desire- I used arugula and avocado, but you could also add some parsley or vegan sour cream. 


8 comments:

  1. I made this last night and I did not have enough lentils- only half the amount, so as soon as the sweet potatoes and lentils softened I added chopped cauliflower and it was delicious! The spices were fantastic and my house smelled like Morocco. Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! Cauliflower was a good idea- I'm sure it added some great texture. I'll have to try it!

      Delete
  2. that stew looks so amazing--hearty, spiced, simple. Love it. Love the inspiration I can sense in it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried it last night (see Lauren above). WOW!!! What a great flavor! I came walking into the house from a meeting and thought I'd slipped into some parallel universe. Which from all that you say about the place might just be what Morocco is.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8.2.13

    Hell yeah!!

    -Bette Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow this looks and sounds a-freaking-mazing! mmmm!

    ReplyDelete