22.12.11

Lemon Ginger Scones


Home for the holidays at last. I survived finals week! I think they all went really well in the end, so now I just get to sit back, relax, and bake all day if I feel like it! Although, because I've been so wrapped up in school I completely forgot that Christmas is in 3 days. I can't completely relax- I need to do some serious Christmas shopping.

My first pre-Christmas present to my family, however, was to make them something yummy for breakfast. I've been wanting to try out vegan scones for a while, so I veganized a basic recipe from this really old cookbook we have laying around and they turned out great! Perfectly buttery, flakey and not too sweet. The lemon and ginger flavor is pretty subtle, so they're best served with jam or some extra earth balance. 

'

Lemon Ginger Scones

makes 8 scones

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup (4 tbsp) cold earth balance 
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup soy creamer
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp fresh grated ginger

1. Preheat your oven to 425ยบ and lightly grease a 9" round pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Using a fork, add in the earth balance and chop it up until crumbly.
3. Mix in the applesauce. Then stir in the creamer, lemon zest, lemon juice and ginger. You may want to use your hands.
4. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 2 minutes or until smooth. Stretch the dough out into a circle and press it into the 9" pan so that it covers the whole surface. 
5. Cut the dough into 8 slices and separate the edges slightly so they are easier to cut later. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the tops just start to turn golden brown.




This is great scone base- if you take out the lemon and ginger, you could add anything you want! Fruit, nuts, chocolate... whatever your heart desires. These would be great for christmas morning :)



Also I just finished watching this movie, one of my favorite holiday classics! 
What's your favorite holiday movie?


1 comment:

  1. Delicious! Looking forward to tea today and a holiday flick!

    ReplyDelete