19.9.11

Banana Peach Spice Bread



Yay we got our oven back! Just in time. I finished a difficult paper for my literature class last night, so baking this bread was the perfect stress release. There is no better way to begin a week than by making some good old-fashioned banana bread.... except this recipe has a twist. I realized I didn't have enough bananas for the recipe I had planned on using, due to my late night peanut-butter-and-banana snacking, so I decided to mash up an overripe peach instead. Bananas and peaches go together great in smoothies, so why not in bread as well?

Banana Peach Spice Bread

(adapted from Susan's recipe)

2 large bananas

1 peach, peeled

1 tbsp white vinegar

1/3 cup soy milk

½ cup sugar

2 cups unbleached flour

¾ tsp baking powder

¾ baking soda

½ tsp salt

½ tsp cinnamon

½ tsp nutmeg

¼ tsp cloves

  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray or wipe a 9×5-inch loaf pan with oil.

  2. Mix the soymilk with the vinegar and let it sit until it curdles into vegan “buttermilk”

  3. In a large bowl, mash the bananas and the peach together. Add the “buttermilk” and sugar and stir.

  4. In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until it is combined.

  5. Spread the mixture evenly in your loaf pan and bake until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean or for about 50 minutes. Cool and eat!



This actually might be one of the best banana bread recipes I've made. It's not only vegan, but super low-fat, which a lot of people are usually skeptical about. However this quick bread will hush up any skepticism. It's moist, just the right density and full of tummy-warming flavor. Use this to surprise anyone who thinks vegan baking is bland!

On a different note, I know I set out with the intent that I would have new posts on here every other day, but between classes, Fearless and Loathing, work, being in a dance piece and actually trying to have some sort of a social life, I think that's gonna have to change. Here's the deal, I can promise at least one new post per week. Depending on my schedule and how often I cook, sometimes it'll be more, but I think once a week will suffice! I have so many recipes that I can't wait to make and share with you all, so stay tuned. :)

Speaking of staying tuned... does anyone else have to have music when they cook or bake? I know I do. This is a song from my banana bread baking music.

6 comments:

  1. Bananas and peach? Together? I already love this bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bananas and peaches! What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooooh this looks delicious. Banana bread is one of my all time favourites. Have you tried making one using chocolate or glace cherries - they work wonders in banana bread,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried chocolate, which can never go wrong, but I've never put cherries in banana bread! That sounds amazing, I'll have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love peaches so much! And since I have never bin the biggest fan of banana bread, this sounds like the perfect recipe for me.

    ReplyDelete